Chicken Chili Mac and Cheese – the whole family will love this macaroni and cheese recipe with just a the right amount of spice!
You know when you feel so successful because you wake up Monday morning, make it to your 7:40 appointment on time, survive getting 57 vials of blood drawn, and then even manage to get your car’s oil changed? All before 10 am?
And you tweet 15 times about HOW ADULT you are and now you’re killing Monday?
And then you go home, change into your PJs, and sleep until you have to pick your kids up from school?
My life, yesterday.
Chicken Chili Mac and Cheese!
Thankfully, I had this Chicken Chili Mac and Cheese in the fridge so I didn’t have to worry about cooking dinner.
I don’t know what possessed me to make this. The whole time I was cooking it, I was thinking, “The kids are never going to eat this.”
“Tomatoes? NOPE. Green chiles? NOPE.”
They loved it! Asked for more. Yesterday I gave them the option between this and Trader Joe’s orange chicken and they picked this!
Seriously! Tomatoes and all!
More Pasta Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons canned diced green chiles, drained
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic; cook 1 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and green chiles; bring to a bubble and cook for about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour into the milk. Gradually add this mixture to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Fold in the pasta. Add the remaining salt and pepper. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 754mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g