Aren’t these the prettiest cookies? The minute I saw them I knew they needed to be part of my Christmas cookie spread!
I don’t typically love cookies with jam but these are officially the exception to that rule. The dough is a lot like shortbread in that it’s buttery and not super sweet so it’s the perfect pairing with a sweet jam and glaze. I could easily eat my weight in these!
They look a lot more difficult than they were. The dough came together in no time and was really easy to roll out into the right shape. And then less than 20 minutes later, I had lovely little cookies
that aren’t going to make it into the freezer like I’d planned.
One note on the recipe – you can glaze the cookies before you slice them or after. I like the look of the glaze going down the sides so I did after but they look a lot “cleaner” if you glaze before cutting. Gorgeous either way if you ask me!
Finnish Ribbon Cookies
from Sweet and Crumby
For the dough:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 – 2½ cups all purpose flour (start with 2 cups and if the dough is too wet, add more a bit at a time)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- ½ cup jam (preferably seedless)
For the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed with a hand mixer (or in your stand mixer). Add egg, vanilla and lemon zest and cream together on medium until combined. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 and roll each one into a thin strip about the length of your baking sheet. Place on pan and press your index finger down the middle to form a crater or canal down the middle. Bake for 10 minutes. Take out and spoon jam into the groove, then return to the oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Let cool and cut into diagonal strips.
To make the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk. Drizzle over cooled cookies.