This Homemade Shamrock Shake recipe is the best copycat recipe for the classic McDonald’s milkshake! It is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any day you need a sweet, minty treat! Only 4 ingredients!
This blog post originally published on March 10, 2014. Updated on March 2, 2018.
Hi guys, happy last day of the week!
I’m updating this post for the 3rd time because I hated the pictures. I always say drinks are my favorite to photograph (I mean, look at these gorgeous margaritas) but shakes are a different story. The whipped cream sinks or everything starts melting together so you scrape off the first whipped cream and do another swirl. And repeat 57 times.
But I love these shakes and I want everyone to make them because they are amazing. Plus I read that McDonald’s is only releasing them to select restaurants this year and that’s just wrong.
I had my first official McDonald’s Shamrock Shake 2 years ago, I think. Crazy, right? This recipe had been on my site for several years at that point.
- Vanilla bean ice cream
- Mint extract
- Green food coloring
- Whipped cream
- Green sprinkles
- Blend shake ingredients. Combine ice cream, 1 cup milk, mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring in a blender and blend until combined. Add remaining ¼ cup of milk if the shake is too thick.
- Adjust color. Use more green food coloring to get desired color.
- Serve. Top with whipped cream and green sprinkles before serving.
Can You Make It Dairy Free?
You can make a Homemade Shamrock Shake dairy free by using dairy free vanilla ice cream and your favorite nondairy milk. I recommend a creamy nondairy milk like oat milk for this recipe.
The nondairy version is just as delicious!
More St Patrick’s Day Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 - 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- green food coloring
- whipped cream and green sprinkles, for serving
- Combine ice cream, 1 cup milk, mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring in a blender and blend until combined. Add remaining ¼ cup of milk if the shake is too thick. Use more green food coloring to get desired color.
- Top with whipped cream and green sprinkles before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g