Texas Tortilla Soup – spicy chicken tortilla soup topped with cheddar cheese, avocado and tortilla chips. The most comforting soup for winter!
How do you like your soups? Brothy or thick and creamy?
I’m a brothy soup person. There is nothing more comforting that steaming hot spicy broth based soup.
If you’re like me, you might love my Spicy Coconut Wonton Soup and you’re definitely going to love this Texas Tortilla Soup. It’s full of flavor and has the perfect amount of heat. Plus, I love a soup with a bunch of toppings.
How To Make Texas Tortilla Soup
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps but it is well worth the time and effort!
- Roast fresh tomatoes in the oven
- Saute onion, garlic, and bell pepper together until softened
- Add spices (chili powder and cumin), chicken stock, and a dried ancho chile
- Let simmer until the chile softens; remove chile and remove stems and seeds
- Puree chile with the roasted tomatoes and canned tomatoes; transfer to the soup
- Simmer for 1 hour to deepen the flavor
- Ad cooked chicken and fresh corn; simmer 5 minutes
- Garnish with avocado sliders, tortilla chips, diced fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheeese
- Serve immediately
Where to Find Dried Ancho Chile
I live in Texas so my grocery stores all have them in the produce section. Some in bulk bins, some in plastic bags. When we lived in Colorado, the grocery stores there had dried chiles, too. So check the produce section of your grocery store first.
If that doen’t work, an Asian or Mexican grocery store is a good bet.
And if all else fails, you can always order them online.
How Long is Tortilla Soup Good For?
This Texas Tortilla Soup should be good for 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator. Make sure it’s stored in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Tortilla Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this Tortilla Soup. It is the perfect soup for freezing because none of the ingredients are going to change textures once thawed. Of course, don’t add any of the toppings until ready to serve.
To freeze, put in an airtight freezer-safe container. If using a freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as possible. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. You can reheat on the stove, microwave, or in the slow cooker.
It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Corn and Chicken Chowder
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the soup:
To make the soup:
To garnish the soup: