Are you tired of hearing about my husband and his grill yet? Okay good. He is still obsessed. We had an incident the other day where the propane tank valve wouldn’t turn (we’d had a nasty hailstorm the night before so we think that’s what caused it) and I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown because the. sausage. needed. to. be. cooked. outside. It was such a mess.
I don’t even know what to do with him most of the time but then he grills some chicken like this for me and all is forgiven. Everyone loved this chicken! It turned out so tender and juicy. Plus lemon and rosemary make anything better!
Tuscan Grilled Chicken
- 3 pounds cut up chicken
- Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (halved)
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt on each side. Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons pepper in a small measuring cup. Place the chicken in a ceramic or glass dish just large enough to hold it flat. Pour the lemon marinade over the chicken, turning it in the dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn the chicken 2 or 3 times while marinating.
- When ready to grill, prepare a hot charcoal fire on 1 side of a grill (or turn a gas grill on low heat). Spread ¼ of the coals across the other side of the grill. Place the chicken on the cooler side, skin side up. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. Turn the chicken skin side down and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Place the lemon halves on the cool side of the grill, cut side down for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut in quarters, sprinkle with salt, and serve with the grilled lemon halves.