Eggnog is one of those things that I get excited about every year because I think that I love it. But I really don’t. And you’d think I’d remember that from year to year but it never fails: I rush out to buy a carton and then gag on the first sip. Someone please remind me of this next year so I don’t get my hopes up again.
So since I had a carton of eggnog to use up and eggnog is the Thirsty Thursday theme of the week, I decided to bake with it. Surprisingly, I really liked this bread. Until I put the glaze on it which is pretty much straight eggnog. But the bread itself just has a very subtle eggnog taste that’s perfect for those of us that want to like eggnog but just don’t. My husband and kids loved it with the glaze though so if you’re an eggnog fan, definitely add it.
Nicole made homemade cooked eggnog with bourbon!
from Mommy's Kitchen
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bottom of bread pan or mini loaf pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, add sugar, eggnog, butter, rum and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Add the instant pudding and blend.
- Pour into greased mini loaf pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and eggnog until you get a good consistency. Drizzle or pour over breads.