If you know me at all, you know that I am a Qdoba addict. Ad. Dict. I could honestly eat there once a week for the rest of my life and never get sick of it. I love the burritos, the nachos, the guacamole, everything.
But a couple months ago I was watching something and someone mentioned how they were hooked on the the barbacoa beef tacos at Chipotle and that was it. I was at Chipotle the next day (after picking up Jack in the Box for my husband), ordering the barbacoa tacos. And I’ve been back pretty much every week since then.
The barbacoa at Chipotle is shredded beef that’s cooked with chipotle peppers, cumin, gloves, garlic, and oregano. It’s kind of spicy but Â not so much that my wimpy self can’t handle it. It’s absolute perfection in the crunchy taco shells with some crisp lettuce and a teeny bit of cheese. And maybe a little salsa. That’s all it needs.
This tastes pretty much just like Chipotle’s. I ate my weight in tacos the night I made them. And it’s so simple to make since it’s in the slow cooker. A hundred times easier than taking 3 kids into Chipotle and yelling your order at the poor person behind the counter because everyone else in there is so freakin’ loud.
If you like the barbacoa tacos like I do, you must try this!
- To make the sauce, combine vinegar, garlic, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt, cloves, lime juice, and chipotle chiles in a blender and blend until well blended.
- Remove most of the fat from the roast and then cut into large chunks (approximately 6).
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chunks of meat and sear on all sides.
- Place seared beef in the slow cooker and pour sauce on top.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves.
- Cook on high heat 5-6 hours or on low for 8-9 hours.
- Remove meat and shred. Return to slow cooker to keep warm.
- Serve as desired.