Baked Potato Salad – everything you love about baked potatoes in a potato salad! Potatoes tossed in sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives. Perfect for summer barbecues!
This post originally published July 22, 2011. Updated on June 9, 2020
This is my alltime favorite potato salad recipe. It’s also currently the only potato salad recipe on this site.
“Why, Amanda, is this the only potato salad on your site?”
You guys, I’m so bad at boiling potatoes for potato salad. They either end up undercooked or so mushy that they practically turn to mashed potatoes.
This Baked Potato Salad is my answer to that problem because the potatoes are baked instead of boiled. And then they’re diced up and tossed with crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and a sour cream dressing.
How To Make Baked Potato Salad
- Bake potatoes for about 1 hour; let cool
- Cut potatoes into bite size chunks
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together mayo, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives
- Add potatoes and toss to coat
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
How Long Is Potato Salad Good For?
This potato salad will stay good for up to 3 – 5 days. Make sure to keep it refrigerated in an airtight container.
What Kind Of Potato Do I Use?
I always use the big baking potatoes to get that baked potato feel but if you prefer a red potato or yellow potato, you can totally do that. Any potato is fine!
But depending on the size of the potato you use, it may not need to bake for the entire time the recipe calls for.
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Fritos Corn Salad
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
- Cole Slaw Pasta Salad
- Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Marshmallow Fruit Salad
- Ramen Noodle Salad
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3 large baking potatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Bake potatoes for 1 hour, or until done. When cool enough to handle, chop potatoes (skin and all) into bite sized chunks. Place in refrigerator until chilled through.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Stir in the potatoes, coating each piece with the mayo mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of chives. Serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g