First recipe of 2016! And it’s a good one!
I made this in anticipation of it being cold this week. So that I could talk about how warm and comforting it is but guys, it’s HOT in Texas again. It was so cold that it actually kind of snowed (like 5 snowflakes) days ago and now I’ve got the a/c on again.
I can’t with you, Texas.
(But I’m not gonna lie. I’m second guessing my life goal to move back to Colorado because dang, it’s nice to be able to run to the grocery store in flipflops in January.)
Anyway, how was new years? Mine was a mess. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you about it. But I have been sworn to secrecy so we’re not going to talk about it.
If it’s cold where you are, you should definitely give this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup a try. It’s really easy, takes almost no time to prepare and it is seriously delicious. I found myself dipping tortilla chips into the pot each time I walked past because I just couldn’t resist it.
The toppings are a must. The best thing about soups like this is all the colorful toppings. Lime, avocado, cheese, tortilla strips! Pile them high – you’ll thank me!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup masa harina
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- optional toppings: diced avocado, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, lime wedges, hot sauce
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add masa harina and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken stock. Add in chicken, enchilada sauce, pinto beans, cumin, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1039mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g