I promised you another meatless recipe this week and here it is!
I’ve been having a weird craving for lots of veggies. I say weird because lately the only veggies I’ve been into have been my bizarre burger salads that I have every morning for breakfast.
Yeah, I totally put bread and butter pickles and ketchup on top of spinach.
I told you, bizarre.
So, of course I start craving Veggie Tortilla Soup as soon as the weather gets warm. This soup is so delicious though and I’m totally willing to eat hot soup in warm weather if it tastes this good!
It’s like your typical chicken tortilla soup except I hate chicken right now so I used beans and quinoa as the protein. And then it’s got the veggies I’d been craving, mostly carrots and zucchini. So yummy, especially if you top it with lots of stuff! Tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro are my choices but you can do cheese, sour cream, whatever you like!
I ate this for lunch all week and I’d make it again today if I wasn’t desperately trying not to buy any groceries right now.
Aaaaaand, it took about 30 minutes to make! *high five*
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- ⅓ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 15-ounce can corn
- avocados, cilantro, cheese, limes (optional, for serving)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender. Stir in the cumin, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and stir in the quinoa. Simmer uncovered until quinoa is cooked, about 15 minutes. With 5 minutes remaining, stir in pinto beans and corn. Serve hot with avocado, cilantro, cheese, and limes on top!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g